Minor Injuries Unit (MIU)

Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) image

Home » Services » Minor Injuries Unit (MIU)

Your local Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) offers advice and treatment for a variety of injuries. To access help and treatment contact NHS111 or visit your local unit.

Minor Injury Units

A Minor Injury Unit offers an alternative to attending an Accident and Emergency department for people who have sustained a minor injury.

Minor injuries include cuts, grazes, superficial burns, broken bones, sprains and strains, minor head injuries and minor eye injuries.

Usually minor injuries will be treated quicker at an MIU than in A&E.

There are local MIUs across Worcestershire in Kidderminster, Malvern, Evesham, Tenbury and Bromsgrove.

Minor Injury Unit at Kidderminster Hospital and Treatment Centre

Opening Times: Walk-in service 8am to 10pm, seven days a week.

X-ray opening times: Monday to Thursday: 9am to 6pm.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday (including Bank Holidays): 9am to 5pm.
You can contact the department directly on 01562 513039 for advice prior to attendance if you wish.

Directions to the hospital can be found by clicking on this link.

What will my visit be like?

  •  All patients will be asked to book themselves in at the reception desk
  • All patients will be triaged within 15 minutes of arrival

What is triage:

This is a rapid assessment process to identify if patients are ‘safe to sit’ and identify anyone who requires prioritisation and immediate treatment.

What to expect:

You will be asked about your injury, be offered analgesia, x-ray requested if clinically indicated, blood pressure check if required and children under 12 years of age will be weighed. You may also be asked some social questions. This assessment normally takes approximately five minutes, dependant on clinical need.

If you have attended with a problem that is outside the scope of a minor injury unit, you will be redirected to the appropriate healthcare provider at this stage.

What happens next:

If you require an x-ray you will be asked to go directly to the imaging department and then return to the Minor Injury unit and wait to be seen by an Emergency Nurse Practitioner.

Alternatively, you will be asked to wait in the waiting room to be assessed and treated by an Emergency Nurse Practitioner, normally in time order unless you require any immediate treatment.

Clinical Examination:

An Emergency Nurse Practitioner is a specialist nurse who specialises in minor injuries. All emergency nurse practitioners have a background in emergency care.

The examination includes detailed history taking including your past medical history and regular medications prescribed by your GP, clinical examination, appropriate treatment, safe discharge and appropriate follow up if required.

Service Limitations:

  • Unable to X-ray children under the age of 3
  • Unable to treat any major illness
  • Unable to treat dental damage or problems

If you have any COVID or norovirus symptoms, please protect others and do not attend the hospital.

Other Minor Injury Units in Worcestershire

You can also get treatment for minor injuries at Minor Injury Units in Bromsgrove, Evesham, Malvern and Tenbury. Opening hours for these units vary. Find out more information about Minor Injuries Units by visiting the Herefordshire and Worcestershire Health and Care Trust website.

Alternative health services

For alternative services including support with illnesses, urgent care, sexual health, pharmacy and dental services, visit the NHS website. Find services near you by clicking on this link to open the NHS services website.

Minor Illness, ongoing problems or chronic conditions should be seen by a GP or patients can use the NHS111 online service (if the patient is over the age of 5 years) or telephone NHS111 to speak to a trained adviser who will assess their symptoms and direct them to the most suitable healthcare service for their need.

Dental problems: Dentist

Sexual health problems: Sexual health clinics.

Morning after pill, flu jabs: Pharmacy

All emergencies should be seen at an Accident and Emergency department or call 999 in life threatening situations.