Worcestershire hospital staff recognised and celebrated at special awards ceremony
The achievements of NHS nurses, doctors and support staff in Worcestershire were celebrated at an awards ceremony on Friday 18 November, with Olympian and World Record Holder, Colin Jackson on hand to congratulate winners and present awards.
Staff from every division and staff group were recognised for their outstanding achievements and some inspirational stories were told as an audience of nearly 300 people celebrated the 17 different awards on offer on the night.
This year, a record number of nominations were received from staff and patients during the summer for staff at Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.
Shortlisted staff were then invited to the awards ceremony at the Chateau Impney in Droitwich, where Colin Jackson shared his story and presented the awards alongside compere for the evening, Michael Collie of the BBC, the trust executive team and local sponsors of the event.
Chris Tidman, Chief Executive said: “This is the time of year when we come together to celebrate all our stars. This year we’ve seen a record number of nominations from patients and colleagues across all disciplines and I’d like to place on record my admiration for everything our staff do, each and every day to provide great care for the people of Worcestershire.”
Trudy Berlet, a bereavement support midwife at Worcestershire Royal Hospital won the award for ‘Midwife of the Year’ for going above and beyond as a point of contact for bereaved parents of all gestation. Trudy has led the way with her outstanding compassion and support. Trudy was also personally commended in last year’s CQC report for the services she provides.
Trudy said: “The evening was a really lovely occasion to all come together to celebrate the hard work that everybody does. Winning Midwife of the Year has been very overwhelming with all the congratulations and thoughtful comments from colleagues and family members - social media goes far and wide!”
Congratulations to all our nominees. The full list of winners is below:
- Nurse of the Year – Laura Ellis, Sister on Ward 11 – Alexandra Hospital
- Midwife of the Year – Trudy Berlet, Bereavement Support Midwife – Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Doctor of the Year – Dr Martin Ferring, Consultant Renal Physician - Trustwide
- Health Care Assistant of the Year – Maura George, Health Care Assistant – Kidderminster Hospital and Treatment Centre
- Allied Health Professional / Healthcare Scientists of the Year – Kelly Bill, Clinical Service Manager, Neurophysiology - Trustwide
- Non-Clinical Employee of the Year – Deb Boden, Ward Clerk - Alexandra Hospital
- Leader / Manager of the Year – Cathy Garlick, Divisional Director of Operations - Trustwide
- Team of the Year – Medical Admissions Unit - Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Enhancing Patient Experience Award – Andrea Madkins, Ward Clerk - Alexandra Hospital
- Patients’ Choice Award – Laurel 2 - Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Apprentice / Student of the Year – Samara Harvey, Business Administration Apprentice - Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Volunteer of the Year – Fiona Charny – Worcestershire Breast Unit Haven
- Rising Star Award – Sharon Banyard, Sister - Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Friends and Family Award - Ward 11 - Alexandra Hospital
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr Marie Hanlon, Consultant Paediatrician - Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Chief Executive’s Special Award – Martin Long, Head of Facilities - Trustwide
- Chairman’s Special Award – Lara Greenway, Ward Manager - Worcestershire Royal Hospital